I took the Nurses Licensure Examination last July 3 and 4, 2010; and since then, I was compelled to be a bum. According to Webster, a bum is a person who does no work; synonyms include do-nothing, idler, layabout, loafer.
Following is a list of the things I did during the longest do-nothing era of my life, I…
- Read nine months worth of newspaper, Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Attended late night rehearsals with the Marian Choir
- Went to Bohol with friends for six days
- Performed at the Marian Choir ethnic-inspired concert last August 14
- Jumped and screamed upon seeing my name at the list of board passers (August 25, 12 NN)
- Raised my hand at the Oathtaking Ceremony at SMX
- Celebrated! (got drunk c/o party-hopping for almost one month! You really must not underestimate the number of new Registered Nurses that time)
- Went to Pangasinan for five days (to party still)
- Waited impatiently for my nurses’ license
- Submitted my resume’ and other requirements to Manila Doctors Hospital — November
- Studied driving for five days
- Studied parking for more days
- Accompanied my Balikbayan aunt in her shopping sprees and gimiks
- Wrote articles for Essays.PH and Odesk.com (crappy sites, total waste of talent)
- Attended four Nursing-related seminars (just four, LOL)
- Volunteered to two medical missions
- Applied for two call centers, passed their exams but got dumped because I was too honest. I told them I have a pending application in a hospital and they literally dropped the phone in my face.
- Sang Christmas carols to I guess more than 100 houses
- Put smiles on the faces of Bukid Kabataan kids (partner orphanage of Marian Choir)
- Spent Christmas and New Year in Tanay, Rizal
- Joined Mr. & Ms. Marian Choir 2010 and won Ms. Talent and Ms. Q & A
- Went to Divisoria twice
- Went to Vigan, Ilocos with Marian Choir for two days —————————– January
- Talked nonsense day after day with Yoyo, my eight year old brother
- Said goodbye to three friends who went abroad (Brenda, Danieve, and Anjanette)
- Decorated two scrapbooks
- Reorganized five photo albums
- Finished ten novels, not including the one I’m about to finish tonight
- Watched all 104 episodes of Phineas and Ferb
- Got front seats watching HBO, Starmovies, ETC, Starworld, TLC
- Worked, or rather volunteered, as my mom’s Private Duty Nurse for three days
- Got flabby
And tomorrow; yes, on April Fool’s Day, my bumness will finally come to an end. I will at last be doing what I’ve been longing to do: work. My dad will now stop asking me about work, my bed be empty before sun up, and I get to utilize that little plastic card I’ve vowed to call a license. It took nine gruesome months, and I hope this will all be worth the wait.
I’m tremendously nervous but all I know is that tomorrow, I will be off to my very first post-college job ever!
Wish me luck. Cheers!